Monday, April 2, 2012

What’s the Story Wagah Border?

The next day, the girls were headed to the Indo-Pakistani border for the highly-praised flag-lowering ceremony, so I tagged along. I felt that it was going to be incredibly touristy and overrated so I wasn’t too keen, but I went because I had a few very enthusiastic recommendations, and I wanted to spend more time with the girls. Yes, I gotta admit, it was one of the more touristy things that I have seen. And one of the most damn worth my time! What an experience! Such incredible energy and atmosphere!



After being sold snacks and mini flags, we passed through numerous security checks with the rest of the crowd. Eventually, we were ushered in a "foreigner's gallery", but I wish we had stuck with the locals. Sparks were flying among them. The energy would have been more than sufficient to power a spaceship most likely. Officials were trying in vain to keep order, because people (locals and some foreigners alike) would disobey their direction again and again, and go running about everywhere dancing and taking photographs.

It was madness. At first we sat down where we were shown and watched the women parade about with a huge flag, followed by singing and dancing. Seeing how much fun everyone was having, I soon rushed down to the crowd to join the party, followed by the girls. The smiles were wide. Everyone was dancing with everyone. All united by our love for this fantastic nation. Hindustan zindabad!

Eventually, the actual ceremony started, and everyone had to sit down. The next best thing to the real deal is a youtube rendering. Those high kicks sure were high...

Marching towards the gate
The flags being lowered simultaneously
 
After the ceremony, more madness as the crowds rushed back. At some point I felt something pulling at my hair and turned to find a scowling woman had yanked the flag out of my hair. "Have you no respect?!", she told me, "Is this what you would do with your own flag? Think before you act, and show some respect!". Youch. Well, actually, yes, that is what I would do with my own flag! :D In fact, on Canada Day, people wear maple leaf rub-on tattoos on their faces, flags in their hair, on their bags, everywhere! Guess not in India, oops...

Photos: Wagah Border Madness

2 comments:

  1. Very exiting, when you were there ? I see that you are still keep going on adventure !!!

    very glad !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there around end of March. I'm posting now but setting the dates close to the actual events. I'd love to see it from the other side one day too!

    ReplyDelete