Tuesday, March 20, 2012

India Stockholm Syndrome

So after two bloody months, I finally feel less lost. I actually want to travel now. I've been feeling fearless and happy to live all things with complete abandon, to let go and be brave, with people and the world. And the world smiled back. I’m feeling Indian. I look for crazy opportunities. I get high on it. I feel back on track. Took a while… And now I have less than two months left and I’m trying to squeeze in as much as I still can! 

The stages I’ve been going through reminded me somewhat of the chapters from Into the Wild. Except at first I had apprehension, and no desire to travel. Then after too long, I’m finally waking up with a fearless, ravenous desire for adventure and life. This is probably post-Hampi side-effects.

I’ve even become a somewhat self-righteous traveller; impatient and assertive and critical when people try to do me wrong. After some reflection though, I decided it is more like pseudo self-confidence rather than the real thing. In some more lucid moments, I am even able to glimpse the progress I still need in the future; learn patience, acceptance, compassion, humility, control. Stop comparing and competing with everyone I meet. My usual vices, which will likely take years to overcome. Bring it on :)

***

After a “tame” week in Goa with amazing people, relaxing and partying (and being incredibly sick), I impulsively decided to hop on a train to Mumbai, not knowing anything about the city or anyone there. I didn’t have internet so I texted a few people and managed to find a CSer, Sumit, to stay with. Yay for connections and awesome friends!

Some local women helped me get to Sumit’s station. Mumbai was actually the first place I got to bond with local women I met randomly, in great part due to the women-only cars on the local trains. The women debated amongst themselves about which station I should transfer at and passed me around to another girl finally. The girl turned out to be from Pondicherry and she was so delighted when I started using some Tamil words and told her of my amazing time in her city and state. 

The next couple of days were spent exploring around the city on my own. Surprisingly, it was the first time I found myself doing that, so I spent a lot of time with my thoughts, occasionaly striking up conversations with the locals. Mumbai is incredible. I love this city. The people are so kind and helpful. It’s vibrant and full of history (ok, any other generic statements I could throw in there? :P). Highlights: Kanheri caves at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, pretending to be Sumit’s niece during a work dinner, hitchhiking in a red 60’sTriumph, St-Patrick’s – Indian style.



Photos: Mumbai

1 comment: